Since every woman’s experience and response is unique, there is no “right” or “wrong” way to feel after your abortion. A woman may experience any number of emotions after your abortion.
After your abortion emotions may range from feeling relieved and thankful, to feelings of sadness. These are all normal responses. Many of our patients find comfort in the support of friends, family, or other loved ones.
We also realize that some of our patients do not have a support network that they can turn to at this time. At Presidential Women’s Center, we recognize and understand the individual emotional needs of all of our patients. Our trained staff is always available to speak with patients and their loved ones in confidence, before and after your abortion procedure.
After your abortion, if needed, we are able to provide referrals to therapists in our community.
Be secure in knowing that we understand that your decision on this very private and personal matter is, after all, your private and personal decision. We are here to help answer your questions, care for your concerns, and support your choices.
Although many of us have grown up taking the right to choose for granted, we hope our patients realize how delicate and fragile this right actually is. The difference of only one judge’s decision on an abortion or reproductive healthcare case is all that is required to completely change the availability of this healthcare service for women.
In many areas of the United States, women must travel very long distances to receive abortion care because the political climate in their state or city will not support protections of their right to choose.
Please remember this when you enter the voting booth, when you choose and support elected representatives and judges, and when you discuss these issues with your friends.
Our right to choose — your right to choose — was not always available, safe, and protected. Florida abortion laws.
Each one of us needs to be personally responsible and committed to keep this protection safe and available for other women, now and for the future.
Normal Side Effects After Your Abortion
Not all women have the same experiences. Some do not experience any bleeding. Others may have bleeding that lasts from 2–6 weeks.
- Bleeding may be spotty, dark brown, and include clots.
- Often there is no bleeding for the first few days immediately following an abortion. Hormonal changes may cause bleeding as heavy as a period around the 3rd or 5th day and increased cramping.
- If heavy bleeding (soaking a full-sized maxi-pad in one hour) occurs, then begin deep uterine massaging for 10 minutes, take Ibuprofen, use a heating pad, and decrease activity.
- If heavy bleeding continues for more than three hours, call us (See the phone numbers listed above).
- Non-bloody, range from a brown to black color
- Cramping is normal and necessary for the uterus to return to its non-pregnant size.
- Cramping may by occasional, like menstrual cramps, for the first few days.
- Cramping may increase, along with bleeding and clotting, particularly around the third to fifth day.
- Cramping should be relieved by ibuprofen, deep uterine massage, heat, and rest.
Cramping may be relieved by one or more of the following:
- Take 800mg ibuprofen with food or milk every 6 to 8 hours.
- Apply uterine massages frequently. This involves firmly pressing down on your abdomen with your fingertips. Rub in a circular motion from the belly button to your pubic bone. You may need to continue this for at least 10 minutes to get some relief.
- Drink warm liquids such as tea or hot cocoa.
- Use a heating pad or hot water bottle on your abdomen.
Abnormal Side Effects After Your Abortion
Prolonged Heavy Bleeding
- Soaking 2 or more maxi pads in an hour for 2 hours in a row
- Blood clots larger than a lemon
Severe pain or cramping that medication does not help
Chills and fever of 101° F or higher after the day of your procedure
- Nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea that lasts more than 24 hours
- Vaginal discharge that smells bad
- Depression that won’t go away
- Still feeling pregnant (fatigue, morning sickness, or breast tenderness) more than two weeks after your procedure.
If you are experiencing any of the abnormal symptoms, please contact us right away.