First Trimester Abortion
A first trimester abortion procedure occurs from 5 to 12 weeks of your last menstrual period (LMP) and can be provided in just one office visit. We are committed to the highest standards in medical care, which you will experience as you walk through our doors. At that time, you will be greeted by a kind, caring staff member. We will work with you to provide care that is designed to support any needs that you have and you will have an opportunity to discuss any questions with the doctor. A first trimester abortion is a safe, simple 3 minute procedure. We offer two options for sedation. Moderate sedation and local anesthesia.
What to Expect During a First Trimester Abortion
As soon as you walk through our doors you will be greeted by a kind, caring staff member.
You will have an ultrasound to determine the precise length of pregnancy, and then receive lab work. After your lab work is completed, you will have a confidential counseling session. And, if you choose, family and friends are welcome to participate.
Our staff members are well trained to tailor each session to the specific needs of each patient. Your private session is designed as a time to exchange information and express any concerns or feelings you might be experiencing. You will have an opportunity to discuss any questions you have with the doctor.
Prior to the first trimester surgical abortion procedure, you will have your choice of sedation. We offer two options for sedation – moderate sedation and local anesthesia.
- Moderate Sedation: This is a good option for patients who want to be comfortable and relatively unaware of the procedure.
- Local Anesthesia: The local option is for patients looking for a very light administration of medication.
Afterwards, you will be brought into our recovery room where our nurses will care for you. At that time you will have something to eat and drink. A female family member or friend is welcome to be with you at this time. You will be given post-operative instructions, medications, and the birth control option of your choice.
How to Prepare for a
First Trimester Abortion
Generous financial help is available to assist with the cost of the procedure. We also offer free abortion consultations.
- Patient Forms
To minimize the amount of time you will spend in our office, please PRINT and COMPLETE the Patient forms before your visit.
- Prior to your Appointment
We ask that you not eat for 4 hours prior to your appointment. You may drink up to 2 hours before the appointment.
- Arrange for a Ride Home
You must have someone to drive you home from your appointment if you are having moderate sedation.
The Safety of First Trimester Abortion
The Guttmacher Institute is recognized in the U.S. and worldwide as a leader in women’s reproductive healthcare research. According to their state facts about abortion, they describe the safety of abortion.
- A first-trimester abortion is one of the safest medical procedures, with minimal risk—less than 0.05%—of major complications that might need hospital care.
- Abortions performed in the first trimester pose no long-term risk of problems such as infertility, ectopic pregnancy, spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) or birth defect, and little or no risk of preterm or low-birth-weight deliveries.
- Exhaustive reviews by panels convened by the U.S. and British governments have concluded that there is no association between abortion and breast cancer. There is also no indication that abortion is a risk factor for other cancers.
- Leading experts have concluded that, among women who have an unplanned pregnancy, the risk of mental health problems is no greater if they have a single first-trimester abortion than if they carry the pregnancy to term.
Our Standard of Excellence
Our promise is to exceed your expectations by providing the best care tailored to your unique needs. We take pride in providing the support and understanding that you need during this very personal and private time. Presidential Women’s Center is accredited by the National Abortion Federation (NAF) a national organization of independent abortion providers. All of us at Presidential Women’s Center would like to thank you for placing your trust in us for your reproductive healthcare.